Michael was busy on window detail this month, as we finally installed the window furniture that we've had stashed away in boxes for nearly four years. The lovely Kirkpatrick curly catches didn't simply fit our window frames, so there was a great deal of chiselling and fettling required.

 

 

Two days and twenty windows later, we have a full compliment of latches and casement stays, and the luxury of properly closed windows with no draughts.

 

 

Last month we finished painting the master bedroom ceilings, so this month we got cracking with colour...

 

 

The walls are a mushroomy hue that contrasts nicely with the oiled timber trusses, purlins, posts and skirting boards. We also decided to feature one end wall in a darker shade, and we're pretty happy with the results.

While Mark painted walls, Sarah was scrubbing, sanding and staining the hardwood window frames, inside and out. We're having a terrific Indian summer, which has helpfully provided great warm sunny evenings for working.

 

 

Back inside Michael was making utility doors for the lower hallway, and Mark started the long-awaited staircase. We cannot close up the stairs until all the underfloor heating plumbing is finished, since the pipework runs under the stairs and into the cupboard on one side. We've managed to complete the design and built a mock-up of the top two steps, and even got all the plumbing planned and components ordered.

 

 

Once the first coat of colour was on the master bedroom walls we moved into the upper hallway. All the timber had to be scrubbed, scraped and oiled, then the ceiling had a couple of coats of white emulsion.

 

 

Next came the colour, the same as in the master bedroom (and kitchen and one wall in the lounge) and as elsewhere it required a lot of edges. The easier ones required cutting up against oiled timbers, whereas those against the angled ceiling required long straight lines done freehand.

Our most exciting activity of the month was a visit to a carpet showroom, as it's finally time to pick a floor covering. We initially chose a really rustic sisal, but a bit of checking revealed that we could not get any manufacturer to certify it for fitting on underfloor heating. Bizarrely it seems it has never been tested, so no-one was prepared to risk fitting it for us in case the heat caused stretching or shrinking.

 

 

Back to the drawing board, we eventually found a reasonably rustic carpet in 100% New Zealand Wool . The colour and texture really doesn't photograph well close-up, but it should all be fitted next month so we can show it off in full spacious glory. Now we have a deadline for laying the upper bedrooms and hallway we need to crack on with final coats of paint and woodwork and flooring details...

 

 

 

 

Michael's snag list included more fettling in the link this month, with yet more door-tuning and we also had a bolt hole put into the flagstones for the doors into the dining room. Little by little we're getting the list crossed off, so progress is creeping on.