We continued work in bedroom 2 this month, sanding, staining and oiling the exposed truss and purlins. Once the woodwork was complete we got on with the ceiling and walls, cleaning and sanding the existing painted areas and we painted the green walls.

 

 

We bought some uplighters for the main wall, fitted them then gave them and the whole wall a couple more coats of the darker green paint. As soon as the paint was finished we put down temporary underlay and carpet and switched on the underfloor heating.

 

 

We also touched up the paint in the ensuite and refitted more temporary carpet, then started moving in furniture.

 

 

We also installed the insulation, steel mesh and underfloor heating in the lower section of hallway, then endured the very chilly conditions outdoors to make up yet more screed.

 

 

Finally we also got stuck in to bedroom 4, cleaning up after the lime repointing that Michael and Jody had done last month. We scraped and wire brushed the stone wall to remove traces of old plaster and paint, then cleaned up the corners where the stone meets the new plastered walls.

 

 

 

 

 

Michael and Jody were back in the dining room this month, cutting and fitting the great stack of twiglets that we've been cleaning and oiling recently.

 

 

They were also working on the bifold doors at the north end of the dining room. These have been temporarily fitted for months, but not fully weatherproof, so it was time to get the folding and sliding mechanisms finished and all the insulation and trim fitted to keep out the winter weather.

 

 

Michael was also busy in the link fitting weather-proofing trim between the glazed roof panels and the head of the doors. The plan was to get trim fitted so we could crank up the heating, but unfortunately that went awry when Michael caught the edge of one of the double glazed roof panels with a hammer, shattering it. Now we're back to being draughty until the glass is replaced.

 

 

 

 

We've been using the kitchen for a year now, and having that anniversary reminded us that we still haven't got around to installing the gas plumbing. Finally we've solved that problem... we found a registered propane plumber and watched him use the biggest drill in the world to tunnel through the stone wall. We've now got a pair of gas cylinders outside and a fully functional gas hob inside, which is absolutely bliss after living with a single electric element for so long!