We continued rebuilding the guest bedroom floor this month, laying insulation and mesh then we rolled out the underfloor heating pipework.

 

 

Sarah got back onto the mixing job, using two concrete mixers to speed up our screed production rate. Mark wheeled barrow loads through the house and dumped them in the bedroom floor, then floated the surface. We split the room in two to keep the job manageable, pouring each half on consecutive weekends.

 

 

After many hours of shoveling, mixing, wheeling and spreading we have our very own home-made floor. It isn't quite millpond flat, but certainly better than we expected and good enough for the underlay and carpet to absorb the remaining imperfections.

 

 

With the floor done the next job was the hallway ceiling: like so many things it's been unfinished for a couple of years, so we got to work with a second layer of insulation, battening and plasterboard to finish it off. Now it just needs a coat of plaster, along with the block walls.

 

 

 

 

We've been eagerly awaiting the return of Michael to finish off the link doors before the winter comes; after so many promises we finally got him on site for a few days. First job was the trim detail at the kitchen end of the link, with shelves between the stone and plaster areas, and carefully scribed hardwood trim between the swing doors and stone walls. The bifold doors are still awaiting attention... maybe next month.

 

 

 

 

While the weather held up we also spent some time out in the courtyard, continuing the stone facing around the patio wall. Once we got a couple of courses complete we were able to lay the huge flagstone step, which was pretty hard to lift so we only got one shot to get it in the right place, level and square.

 

 

 

 

Our final task for the month was to prepare yet more twiglets for use in the dining room ceiling. We're getting used to the procedure now: a day or two to strip out nails and scrape back any loose or rotten wood, then brushing clean and a good dose of preservative. After a few days drying we brushed on a thick coat of Danish oil, then racked them up ready for trimming and fitting. There will be yet more oil applied once they're up in the ceiling, to give them a deep, rich glow and great smell.