Michael and Jody continued plastering today, finishing skimming the last sections of the dining room ceiling. Once the plaster is dry we'll paint, then the arduous task of replacing all the old rafters can begin. We're in no great hurry to finish the timbers though: we need to get the doors in and draft-proof for winter, then we can worry about finishing it next year.

 

 

 

We were on painting duties today, putting sealing coats of white emulsion on the fresh plaster of the cloakroom and the short link. After a few hours of painting we headed to Northampton B&Q for more supplies, including some colour samples for the kitchen and link walls.

 

 

After finishing the remaining areas of white emulsion we picked a few key spots and tried a couple of colour samples. We chose a mushroom-brown hue, in a couple of different shades. After looking at the samples in various lighting conditions we've decided to go for the lighter shade for all the walls and the darker shade for trim. It does seem odd choosing final paint colours before we even have a floor, but we want to get most of the painting done now to prevent any spills on the flagstones.

 

 

Michael and Jody delivered a huge pile of wood today: they have made a new stable door and frame for the kitchen, plus provided timber for us to make three other sets of door fronts. These will go beneath the windows of the kitchen and bedroom two, so we will end up with four sets of stable doors in the courtyard, one real and three facades. The wood is all meranti, which is the same hardwood as all our windows and bifold doors are made from.

 

 

 

Sarah was on staining duty today, putting a couple of coats on the courtyard doors of the short link. Meanwhile Mark was touching up edges of ceiling paint in the short link, before fitting the recessed lights.

 

 

 

We got some serious painting done today, applying the first coat of colour to the walls of the short link and kitchen. The colour we've chosen is a mushroomy brown, to contrast with the timbers, brick and stone.

 

 

 

We had a rare spell of clear weather today, so we got cracking outside clearing the courtyard to create a space for the flagstone crates to be delivered. We shovelled a ton of shingle into the top corner of the courtyard as a base for the gas tanks, then dragged a couple of hundred kilograms of sand out of the way.

Once the courtyard was cleared we returned to the kitchen, putting on a second coat of paint throughout.

 

 

This morning we had a very important delivery: 10 tons of flagstones fresh off a boat from India, surprisingly via Wales! The flags are sized 450x600mm through to 1200x600mm with a mixture of colours and textures including a remarkable fossil pattern that occurs naturally throughout the quarry.

 

 

Today we made final preparations for the flagstones to be laid, emptying out all the building materials, ladders and tools from the kitchen and links, then gave the floor a thorough sweep-out.

 

 

Michael, Jody and Keith made a start on laying the flagstones today, cutting the first tricky corners around the edges of the short link. They also prepared the stable doorway for its new frame, bricking up the base.

 

 

 

The flagstone delivery truck was back today, bringing more of the biggest flags that were missed from last week's delivery. Jody and Keith continued laying in the kitchen, creating a random pattern with some holes cut out for the conduit and pipework going under the island.

 

 


september

Green Farm Barn

november